Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I Speak Canadian

This is just a random post, to help me get back into the blogging world (I really, truly hope!!!).

Throughout the years we've lived here, there have been times I feel like I speak a completely different language. I would say something, then I get these blank stares, so I repeat myself. Then still have people staring saying things like "What are you talking about?".

You'd think after 2 1/2 years, I'd have picked up on all the different Canadian English / US English words. But just in this last week I've had two such experiences.

A group of us were discussing a snack for an activity. I suggested something easy like rippled chips and dip. Then came those blank stares, and after a long pause, the question. "Is that kinda like Lays?" Well, I wanted to make it clear that it wasn't any flavour of chips - Lays has many varieties - because the flavoured ones don't go so well with a dip. "No, it's the plain chips with the ripples. You don't call them ripple chips?"

Apparently they are just called Lays (or Ruffles).

So last night as I was grocery shopping, I bought a bag of ripple - Lays, ruffles, crinkle cut, wavy, ridged, whatever you want to call it - chips, Walmart's Great Value product, and what are they called!?! You guessed it...

Ripple cut chips!!!



Then tonight, as I was researching some furniture prices. All I could find were store, after store, after store (after store) with prices shown in Euros. Surely there are stores in the USA that sell this! So I went to the Ikea store, because they have good prices, and there they were. Tons of bedside tables with USD prices. So why was my google search only showing up with Euros????

I figured it out! It took longer than it probably should have (but it's late, I have a good excuse). Bedside tables are not called bedside tables - go figure. They are called night stands. I was just trying to throw myself off a little by looking up Ikea first. Of course they would call them bedside tables!

6 people know I like comments:

Dion Lawlor said...

Tilane Loved the post on I speak Canadian, Had me laughing as I remember similar situations... Keep em coming. BTW this has to be the first post in what? Three months

Unknown said...

Oh funny stuff Tilane!! Its funny how little words get changed and used more in one country then another. Well I'm dyeing to see you and glad you you posted something again!

Kari Dawn Edmunds said...

Funny! Glad to see you posted. :)

Shanda said...

I am laughing so hard at your post. I have to agree with you about the Lays...I call them ripple chips too. Thanks for a good laugh...Hey it sure was fun chatting with you at craft night last week! How are your projects going? Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you back on the Blogosphere Tilane.
I got a good laugh out of it, keep it up.

Kalina said...

of course they're called night stands! That was a good one though. Ripple chips though shouldn't have been confusing. I guess ripple is just too big a word for them. You might have had more luck with wavy. Who knows! :)