Tuesday, July 15, 2008

April

OK. I really need to get back into blogging. There are so many fun things I have missed. So I'll be catching up month by month. Although it's July, I'm jumping way back to April for this post.



Friday April 4th we got invited to go to a Rampage hockey game with DJ and Amanda. They had some extra tickets, so we got a free date! : ) (Not including the babysitter of course.) Thanks DJ and Amanda!

I'm partial to the actual game, unlike some who only watch hockey for the fights. If you really want to see a hockey fight check this out.




Caleb's school has a bike rodeo each year. This is meant to teach children bicycle safety while including some fun and games in the mix. Although Caleb loves to ride his bike and learned how to ride at a young age, I was still surprised when he came home with a third place metal. Way to go Caleb. Like father like son, eh?

April was an historic month for me. It was when my views of Texas finally changed. I've always loved the people here but I really hated the place. It is ugly, dirty, there are few sidewalks, no playgrounds or greenbelts to play on (unless you wanted to drive at least 10 minutes), no spray parks (unless you want to pay a fortune for an amusement park pass - in a place this hot there needs to be something!), terrible roads (which is why they are always doing roadwork), I hate the course grass (if you can call it grass), the houses here are terrible, my list could go on and on and on. So like I said I love the people, we have made wonderful friends, but I didn't like living here, until...

On the 25th of April we drove out to Garner State Park. Seeing the beauty of the hill country got me so excited. They weren't mountains, but it was close enough for me, I loved it. I felt relaxed and happy.


Patrick, Angelus, Ethan, Matthias, Tony, Brad and Caleb

Emma, Mike, Bryce, Jim and Kaitlin

John, Dallin, Abby and Ellice

Seija, Me, Anna, Kristi and Alyssa

Gathering for lunch cake

Ellice's birthday



The Hill Country

Garner State Park

My liking of Texas actually came on gradually, but our Garner State Park trip was when I noticed I definitely liked it here. Just getting use to this place has helped a lot. When fall temperatures began last year I loved the weather. I've enjoyed each park we have picnicked and hiked at. We loved the beach at South Padre Island last Christmas. We have a free public pool we now enjoy, that has opened up close to here during the summer. We've gone on some enjoyable day trips. All these things have helped me to slowly like Texas, but Garner State Park was what tipped the scales tipped the scales. We owe it all to Jim and Kristi who planned this gathering!

2 people know I like comments:

The Kerr Family said...

Yeah, I was slow to like Texas too. It was just so different than what I was used to. But, like you, I came to love it. We're so happy to be where we are, but we sure do miss SA.

Sandi said...

What beautiful pictures, I hope you continue to love where you are planted.