Tuesday, April 29, 2008

SPT - Fuel or Shopping Spree?

Our spt challenge this week is: your challenge this week? find your last receipt from the gas station (or if you are filling up over the weekend, make note of what you spend.) how'd you do? $35.00? $70.00? $100.00+?? what if you could take THAT amount and spend it on something for you?? to make it a little more challenging, let's just say that you can only buy ONE item, and the cost of that ONE item must be within $5.00 of what you spent at the pump.


I have between $48.10 - $58.10 to go shopping with.

My first thought in this imaginary shopping spree was to buy a new outfit. I'm sure others get sick of seeing me in the same few outfits week after week. I know I do. But (although this may surprise all females out there) I don't like shopping! It's such a hassle finding something that looks good, not only on the hanger, but on myself too, and then have that item be the right price for our low budget. The sizes drive me nuts too! How can I be a size small, medium, large and X-large in the same shopping trip? It makes no sense! Maybe one day, when money is not such an issue, I'll like shopping. Maybe.

So, because I x'ed out the clothing idea right off the bat, I had to think of something else I wanted (most of which were either way below or way above my target price range). There was one item that I have been toying about getting, but have been putting off until our next long driving trip. I would buy Chronicles of Narnia boxed set on Audio CD.

It turns out that the cost of this item is $54, which is only $.90 over the amount I paid for fuel this last weekend.

How would you spend your money, if you didn't have to pay the outrageous price of fuel?

17 people know I like comments:

Bren's Life said...

That's a Great idea! I feel the same way about clothes shopping. But you are so cute & little & probably look good in anything..
I just read your comment on mine..
I'll email you instead of taking up to much space on here...
I'm glad you commented...

Hillery said...

My mom hates shopping too! It made me so mad as a teenager, but now I see what she was talking about. And i LOVE your washer and dryer! So jealous.

Anna said...

Wow, I don't want to think about what I could buy with gas money. With the prices going up it makes me a little depressed, especially now with two cars.

By the way, I don't get sick of your clothes. I think you always look cute. And I mean that honestly.

Alisa said...

I feel the same way about shopping- I always end up buying things for my kids instead.
I like your choice for the book on CD- That would be great to have in the car!

Midge said...

I love books on cd, I rent them from the library all the time and they make road trips fly by.

Sarah said...

I don't enjoy shopping for clothes either. It is so time consuming actually finding things that fit, and that I like. I too feel like I wear the same things week after week.

Jenni said...

Gosh! Gas is WAY too expensive!! I guess our car holds less gas, because it is never over $40, so I would have less to work with, but I think I would have to take a trip to the shoe store! oh and what does SPT stand for?

Lene said...

I am the same way about clothes, but shoes that is a whole different story. The book on CD is a wonderful idea. That is one of the stories my kids love.

Dacia said...

I feel the same way about clothes shopping. I love buying new clothes, but it's usually a depressing event. Anyway, love the Chronicles of Narnia. That would be great to have on CD.

The Monkeys said...

I hate shopping too. I like new things, but I hate trying to find the exact thing I am looking for. It drives me crazy and gives me a headache.
I loved all the Naria books! Good choice.

Windy said...

Great idea, especially for a long road trip.

I HATE clothes shopping too! I hate trying to find something modest and I hate the fact that at one store I'm one size and at the next I'm two sizes bigger. Why can't clothing people get together and come up with a standard for what a certain size really is!

Kari Dawn Edmunds said...

I thought of you while filling up my tank today and your narnia cds.

Anonymous said...

I'm tempted to do that myself on my blog.

Chris said...

The CD's look great. My kids would love them. I honestly have never read them. But I am with you on the clothes shopping, for me always last thing I want. I am always trying to find clothes for the kiddos though!

Unknown said...

you rocked this challenge!! that would be a great treat to buy.

(i am totally with you about having a dislike for shopping...)

jenny said...

I actually just filled up as well, but mine was about $10 more. Perhaps I should take you to Ross with me. I always find about 4 items of clothing for that price :)

The Shirleys said...

I think I would need to safe up two or three gas receipts and then I would get a kitchen table and some chairs! Wouldn't it be great to have a table that wasn't falling apart and chairs other than folding chairs? Someday!