Sunday, March 2, 2008

Sunday's Weekly Blessing - Breathing & Modern Medicine

As I have two and a half weeks of blogging to catch up on, I am listing two blessings this week. The first is the blessing of being able to breathe. I am really grateful I can breathe! I really like breathing!!!

"Mosiah 2:21 I say unto you that if ye should serve him who has created you from the beginning, and is preserving you from day to day,
by lending you breath, that ye may live and move and do according to your own will, and even supporting you from one moment to another—I say, if ye should serve him with all your whole souls yet ye would be unprofitable servants."

I've always liked the scripture above, because it teaches how much we need God. We need Him everyday to give us breath, along with everything else. At any moment the ability to breathe could be taken away from us. They say 'you don't know what you've got until it's gone'. Being asthmatic I've never taken for granted the ability to breathe, because there's been too many times that breathing has been a challenge. These last two weeks is a prime example.

After Brad and I got home from Vegas (more on that to come), the influenza infection hit our family with a vengeance (vengeance from what, I know not). I had trouble just getting out of bed, let alone trying to put a couple coherent thoughts together for a blog post (which is why this post hasn't happened until now). This flu came with many symptoms. I had a fever that fluctuated between 39C (aka 102.2F) and 41C (aka 105.8F) for over three days. I had the chills, sweats, achy body, an insanely runny nose, head aches, back aches, a terrible cough and major breathing difficulties.

This flu is also the reason for the second blessing of modern medication. Using all my inhalers to help me breathe better just wasn't cutting it for this flu. So I am extremely grateful for strong prescription drugs that helped me begin breathing better right away, and for the strong prescriptions that helped me through the long haul of this viral infection.


These and other medicines have been lifesavers (literally).

1 people know I like comments:

tomturf said...

I'm sorry to hear you had influenza and with your asthma. I grew up with asthma and missed a lot of grade school because of it, fortunately I have grown out of it for the most part in my adult life as long as I stay away from cats & dogs, cows & horses. I've also found the last 3 winters that the "Flu" shot has helped me enjoy the winter months much more, hope you've tried that. I am however struggling with keeping my health currently as I'm not getting enough restful sleep with the new baby. Take care, I enjoy keeping up with your family in Texas.